Filing a Tax Extension

If you get the envelope containing your tax return postmarked before midnight on April 15th then you’ve managed to submit your return on time.

But, if you miss the deadline, forget to file your tax return or couldn’t complete it as you didn’t have all the necessary information then you may have to file a tax extension.

Our guide looks at how you file a tax extension if you haven’t submitted your return on time.

Why may you miss the tax deadline?

There are lots of reasons that you may not file your tax return before the 15th April deadline.  These include:

Whatever the reason, the worst thing casino spiele online you can do is to not file for a tax extension.

How to apply for a tax extension

To apply for a tax extension you should complete IRS Form 4868 (available on the IRS website) and mail it in by April 15.

Filling out Form 4868 can give you an extra six months to file most federal income tax forms, including the 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ.  If an extension is granted then your new filing deadline will become October 15.

Form 4868 is easy to complete and you”ll need to provide:

You can file Form 4868 by mail, online, via tax software or even by telephone.

It is recommended that you make payment towards your tax liability when you file form 4868.  This is because a filing extension does not constitute a payment extension.  After April 15, any tax you owe starts to accrue late payment penalties and interest and so paying some tax will help you reduce your interest charges and penalties. kamagra

2 Comments + Add Comment

Leave a comment